Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Foot pain from yogging

Yesterday's lunch yog resulted in some pain on the inside of my left foot near the big toe joint.  This did not please me.  However, small aches and pains are common in the week before a highly anticipated yog, and I do in fact have an important yog this weekend.  I will be travelling with daughter and girlfriend to Chicago for an organized, timed, competitive yog (OTCY)! 

Yogging is available for free in most places.  Timing equipment and the means to measure the distance of a yog is also attainable at very reasonable costs.  But, it is futile to resist the urge to suck up vacation time and pay for airplane tickets, hotels, meals, rental cars and triple digit entry fees in order to take part in an OTCY.  You see, at an OTCY, you receive a t-shirt, people come out and cheer, photographers take pictures to sell to you in order to commemorate your yog, you are awarded a medal, and afterwards, your time is placed on the internet to make your yog official.  Only an official time will do if you are going to claim a performance as a best yog (BY). 

I will be attempting a BY this weekend.  Last year I also attempted a BY at this same event but it did not go well.  My calves cramped relatively early on, and while I was able to continue with the yog, I slowed almost to a kerplopple!  Many people yogged past me.  This did not make me feel good.  I have achieved several BY's at other distances this year, so I am very hopeful to BY at the OTCY this weekend.  If I do, I will probably decide that I was capable of a faster yog, claim the effort was mediocre, and feel somewhat embarrassed as to how poor my BY still is.  The trip will have been worth it.

1 comment: